This Viking Ulfberht sword is copied from a sword shown in Ian Pierces book Swords of the Viking Age. An old legend has it that a Nordic smith named Ulfberht developed the first all steel blade. This crucial development achieved near-mythical status among warriors, making this one of the most important swords in the study of medieval weapons. Several of these blades from slightly different time periods exist, some engraved in gratitude and reverence with Ulfberhts hallowed name. Engravings On Both Sides Of Blade Grip Wood Wrapped With Leather Great Looking Viking Sword High Carbon Steel Blade Comes With Scabbard
Prior to the Ulfberht swords, all European swords were of the pattern welded variety. Soft iron bars were welded together with strips of steel, forged into a blade shape, then a steel edge was welded onto the sword. But, the Ulfberht sword was a quantum leap in both technology and design. Made not strips, but good carbon steel blades with enough carbon content to produce excellent swords. The design of the sword was also an improvement. The blade tapered more sharply to the point than did previous blades. This put the balance of the sword closer to the hand, making a sword that was faster on both the stroke and recovery than previous blades.
The engravings on both sides of our blade are copied exactly so that our reproduction is identical, warts and all. Made of high carbon steel (actually better than the original) it is beautifully balanced. The grip is wood wrapped with leather. The stout crossguard is steel and the pommel is of the Brazil nut shape that was quite popular at the time, both with Vikings and the rest of Europe. A beautiful and important sword. Comes with scabbard.
Measurements: Overall: 35.75 Inches Blade Length: 30.25 Inches Blade Width 2-1/8 Inches Weight: 3 lbs
first to write a review.
- If all items on your order are in stock, your order will ship the same or next business day.
- If one or more of the items on your order are out of stock, your order may not ship right away.
- You are only charged for one shipment per order, therefore we generally ship orders together, once all items are in stock.
- You may arrange to receive multiple shipments by contacting our customer service.
- To see if your items are in stock or out of stock, simply view the availability shown under the Price.
- Orders are shipped Monday-Friday.
- Domestic orders are shipped via UPS.
- International orders have the choice of USPS or UPS.
- International orders may be subject to additional fees (customs and brokerage) due at the time of delivery collected by the delivery company.
- Express orders must be placed before 3 p.m. CST to ensure same day shipment (all items must be in stock as well).
- Please check for emails from us. We may contact you by email regarding your order. We will also send your packing slip with tracking information by email once your order ships.
- Most shipments do not require a signature. Shipments over $500 may be subject to requiring a signature.
- Orders are delivered Monday-Friday. To arrange a Saturday delivery please contact our customer service department before ordering as this option has an additional cost and cannot be purchased through our online shopping cart.
- Once your package is delivered, please inspect your order to ensure you are satisfied with your purchase. If you are not completely satisfied, please contact so we can quickly correct any issues.
Returns and Exchanges:
- We have a 1 year return policy.
- Items must be in their original condition to be returned.
- We cannot accept worn, washed, used, or damaged items.
- You can return items and get a refund, do an immediate exchange, or get store credit for a future order.
- Please note you are responsible for all shipping fees incurred with returns and exchanges.
- To read our full return policy please click here: Returns and Exchanges