The advent of heavy plate armour meant that the traditional medieval sword had to change or be left behind. Swords like this 14th Century Gothic Sword with Scabbard and Belt were an innovation in functionality, thanks to their great versatility.The strong, stiff blade of this sword tapers from a broad base to an acute point, helping it excel at breaking through armour and wounding the opponent. This design puts weight behind every swing and can easily slip through gaps in plate armour. The swords blade is dual hardened and forged in 5160 high carbon steel. The sword features a bright brass guard with semi-straight quillons that curve towards the blade near the tips, as well as a matching brass wheel pommel to help counterbalance the blade. The swords full-length tang runs the full-length of the wooden, leather wrapped grip and is peened at the pommel for added strength. A wood scabbard, wrapped in black leather to match the grip, is included for safe and secure storage, and an interlaced sword belt allows the owner to keep this medieval blade at their side, ready for instant use on a swift draw. This 14th Century Gothic Sword with Scabbard and Belt is a faithful reproduction of the historical arming sword, as well as a reproduction of an actual medieval sword on display in the Royal Ontario Museum. More than that, though, it is also a fully functional historical replica, made for any swordsman who wants to sheer through mail and thrust through plate just like the knights of old.
Please be aware that this sword is hand forged, and as such, its finish and its overall measurements can vary slightly from what is shown here. Also, be aware that this sword is made to be practical, tough, and hardy, and its finish, being hammered and hand forged, can sometimes feature marks from the forging process.
- Based on a 14th century sword on display in the Royal Ontario Museum
- A fully functional and extremely hardy sword
- Steel blade is dual hardened to a Rockwell of 53
- Full-length, peened tang provides immense durability
- Hilt is wrapped in leather for a solid grip
- Includes a leather-wrapped wood scabbard and sword belt
- Blade is hand forged from 5160 high carbon steel
- Grip and wood scabbard are wrapped in leather
- Total Length: 34.5 Inches
- Blade Length: 27.5 Inches
- Grip Length: 4.75 Inches
- Point of Balance: 4.25 Inches from Guard
- Blade Width (at base): 3 Inches
- Weight: 2 lbs. 7 oz.