The sallet or salade was a popular and elegant headpiece in use across much of Europe throughout the second half of the 15th century. Various forms developed during this time, they all fitted closely to the front and sides of the head but many, particularly those in the German style, flared away from the back of the neck and had extended tails, some very long and occasionally articulated, that swept back to a point. Most sallets covered the face to just below the nose and had a slit across the front through which the wearer could see. Some had fixed face protection, often referred to as a tipping sallet, whilst others had moveable visors. They were often worn together with a bevor because the sallet itself often gave no protection to the jaw and throat.
Sallets made in the Italian style, like our bellows face sallet, generally had shorter, more rounded tails that fitted more closely to the back of the neck. The extended bellows style visor on this example, so-called because of the pattern of ridges embossed into the visor, is a later development that did offer some protection to the wearers chin. This helm is based on transitional piece (between the sallet and the Maximilian style close-helm of the 16th century) that is dated to around 1490.
Made by GDFB
- Includes Liner And Chin Straps
- Authentic Sallet Helmet
- Moveable Visor
- Great Medieval Helm
- Medium: Fits a Head Circumference up to 25.5 Inches
- Large: Fits a Head Circumference up to 26 Inches
- Steel Thickness: 14 Gauge
- Weight: 6 lbs. 9 oz.
first to write a review.
- If all items on your order are in stock, your order will ship the same or next business day.
- Express orders must be placed before 3 p.m. CST to ensure same day shipment (all items must be in stock as well).
- You have the option to guarantee same day shipping if your order is processed after 3 p.m. CST, there will be a $10.00 rush fee.
- If one or more of the items on your order are out of stock, your order may not ship right away.
- You are only charged for one shipment per order, therefore we generally ship orders together, once all items are in stock.
- You may arrange to receive multiple shipments by selecting so during checkout or by contacting our customer service.
- To see if your items are in stock or out of stock, simply view the availability shown under the Price.
- Orders are shipped Monday-Friday.
- Domestic orders are shipped via UPS.
- International orders have the choice of USPS or UPS.
- International orders may be subject to additional fees (customs and brokerage) due at the time of delivery collected by the delivery company.
- Please check for emails from us. We may contact you by email regarding your order. We will also send your packing slip with tracking information by email once your order ships.
- Most shipments do not require a signature. Shipments over $500 may be subject to requiring a signature.
- Orders are delivered Monday-Friday. To arrange a Saturday delivery please contact our customer service department before ordering as this option has an additional cost and cannot be purchased through our online shopping cart.
- Once your package is delivered, please inspect your order to ensure you are satisfied with your purchase. If you are not completely satisfied, please contact so we can quickly correct any issues.
Returns and Exchanges:
- We have a 90 day return policy.
- Items must be in their original condition to be returned.
- We cannot accept worn, washed, used, or damaged items.
- You can return items and get a refund*, do an immediate exchange, or get store credit for a future order.
- *We can only process refunds to items returned within 30 days, after 30 days we offer exchange or store credit only.
- Please note you are responsible for all shipping fees incurred with returns and exchanges.
- To read our full return policy please click here: Returns and Exchanges